Monday, December 8, 2008

It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year!



Yeah, yeah......I know it's the holiday season.

But even more importantly -- it's the holiday MOVIE season! Hey, for a movie lover like me....this is truly -- "the most wonderful time of the year."

As I sat down to my laptop this morning, I realized that I haven't posted to this blog for almost a month.


Yikes!


Ya know why?


I've been sittin' in a movie theater.

As the weather turns colder and the
Oscars get closer, Hollywood begins to roll out the flicks that seem to have just a little bit more substance.

Ya know.....fewer
House Bunnies and more Boys in Striped Pajamas. (And I'm not talkin' about Mr. Hefner.....by the way)

Don't get me wrong -- I love a good mindless summer blockbuster every now and then (Helloooo
Hancock.....),


but I really love me some good Oscar bait.

So today I thought I'd give y'all a quick rundown of the films that have kept me busy eating too many tubs of popcorn over the last two months.

Here's what I've seen recently, along with my letter grade and a quick comment for each:


The Secret Life of Bees - (Grade: B....no pun intended!)


I enjoyed this film, it was nice. Unlike many people in the theater, I hadn't read the book. The casting truly was great. It's a little predictable, but a decent rental. It's a "chick flick" that a guy could like. I think.

Outsourced - (Grade: A)


An unexpected pleasure. A cute, fun indie about a guy who has to go to India to work at a call center to save his job. The two leads are very appealing & have great chemistry. A fish-out-of-water tale with a sweet romantic side. I say seek it out or rent it.

Rachel Getting Married - (Grade: B)


I thought this flick was just OK. Everyone raves about Anne Hathaway & she most definitely will be nominated for an Oscar. She was good, but I just thought the whole thing was a little too quirky and overwrought. Guess I just wasn't in the mood. Nice to see Debra Winger again though as her mom.....love her.

Happy Go Lucky - (Grade: C-)


Whew....more like Happy Go
Yucky. I talked a group of friends into seeing this indie flick because I had read good reviews and they raved about the lead. It was just too wacky, UNfunny and had scenes that made absolutely no sense. Frankly, the lead made me want to smack her....hard. Lucky for ME, my friends are still listening to my movie advice!

Quantum of Solace - (Grade: A)


What can I say? I love the crazy, non-stop Bond action and Daniel Craig gets my butt in the seat. (Hmmm.....I don't think that came out quite right.) Anyways, it's fast and furious and full of Bond.....what could be better than that? I'll tell you what -- 3 words: "More beach scenes!"

(Now that's what I'm talkin' about!)


The Boy In The Striped Pajamas - (Grade: B)


OK, this is definitely NOT a feel-good flick. What it is, is a well-done drama about a family dealing with World War II at a German concentration camp. The twist is that the protaganist is German. The change from the usual perspective makes this tale interesting and the two boys at the center of the story are very moving. This is an emotionally draining flick, but very worthwhile.

Australia - (Grade A-)


Loved it. OK....so I'm a sucker for sweeping, epic historical romances. This would have to be pretty bad for me not to like it. For some reason, the critics really seem to have disliked it, and it's not doing great at the box office. I say, take it for what it is.....a throwback to another era. Kinda like, "Calgon, take me away." C'mon people, most of us weren't around back then and we aren't in Australia.....so just sit back, enjoy the story and the scenery (hunky Hugh Jackman shirtless AND in a tux, I'm just sayin'......). Nicole Kidman is very beautiful and the little boy is awesome and brought me to some serious tears, more than once. Yes, it is a little long -- just get the extra-large popcorn and bring a few tissues, just in case.

Four Christmases (Grade: C)

I seriously DID NOT like this movie. I don't think that I laughed even once. Hey, I do have a sense of humor...I guess I just don't think baby puke and grown men body-slamming each other is hilarious. Go figure.
I guess I'm just disappointed because this flick had an interesting and potentially funny premise, along with a great cast....and it just wastes it all, completely.  Those kinda films drive me crazy.  This flick has been number one for 2 weeks in a row and I think I know why --  
Three reasons:
1. It's a comedy, and people want to laugh right now.

2. Reese Witherspoon. She's cute, smart and perky -- and women
AND men like her (but only in comedies, did you see her in the Iraq war flick? Didn't think so.)
3. Vince Vaughn. Seriously, I don't get him
at all (I think he plays the same guy every time). Apparently, men dig him (and I think wanna BE him) and women wanna date him. (Why? Is it the immature man/boy thing? Ya wanna change him? I'm thinkin' you need to meet a man like Daniel Craig. No changes necessary. No ma'am.)  
Anyways, I say skip this flick -- unless you
really wanna see a comedy with a Christmas theme. (Heck, just stay home and rent National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and be done with it. You'll definitely laugh, save a few bucks and thank me later.)


OK, so that's all for now.....the flicks I
have seen.

I'd love to hear
your feedback, if you've seen any of them as well.

Later in the week, I plan to do a post about the group of upcoming flicks I'm most looking forward to checking out.


Seriously people, get ready to grab some popcorn because there is
a lot more Oscar bait out there, just waiting to reel us in.

Yep, for me -- it's definitely.....
the most wonderful time of the year.



Happy Holidays Everyone!

No comments: