Thursday, July 3, 2008

Hancock Looks Like A Hit


It's already brought in over 24 million since Tuesday evening, and looks to gross about 115 million by the time this holiday weekend is through --

That's despite almost across-the-board very average to fairly terrible reviews --


Yep......Will Smith still pretty much owns the 4th of July weekend box office, that's for sure.


Remember, he's been here before.

Independence Day. Men In Black. Wild, Wild West.

(Hmmm.....forget that last one. I'm sure Will is tryin' to.)

Anyways, it's safe to say that Will Smith is a pretty much universally-loved movie star who people like to go watch do his thing in big summer flicks.

Especially around the 4th of July.

Especially if he's fightin' off bad guys and blowin' stuff up. Yeah....that definitely packs 'em in.

However, more than a few industry insiders (and critics and bloggers....) have recently questioned whether Mr. Smith's power as a movie star (who can actually "open" a picture) will be dimmed by this film (and it's many negative reviews) if it underperforms at the box office.



You know what? I'm gonna go on the record and say........"NO."

Seriously, I'm still not convinced that your average everyday movie-goer even pays attention to reviews and/or movie critics in general.

They might read a review about a flick if they've never heard of it or wanna get some plot scoop.....but I don't believe it influences their trip to the theater, one way or another.

I gather more information than most about upcoming flicks, and I just read reviews for a little extra opinion or insight. They never influence my final decision to actually see a flick.

In fact, Hancock has been on my radar for quite some time....since it was originally titled: Tonight, He Comes. (Uh, good move on changin' that title there fellas.....somewhat of a marketing problem, I'd guess.)


So I always thought it sounded like an interesting premise....a fresh take on the superhero genre. With a good script, a great cast (Helloooo, Will Smith -- Mr. Box Office Gold) and a decent director -- what a fun time at the theater.

I'm not the first to point this out by the way.

Many others (mostly critics) have said that's why they are so disappointed in this flick. It had such promise, and doesn't live up to it -- at all.

OK.....enough about this film that I haven't seen yet.

I plan to remedy that tonight around 7:30 pm.

Our plan is to go tonight, the entire family -- and finally see what all of the fuss is about.

My hope is that the theater is packed. That's my favorite way to see a flick like this.

I'm thinkin' I'll probably like it......there truly aren't many flicks that I don't like. I can usually find at least something good.

"How about that soundtrack? And those costumes.....you have to admit, the characters didn't make much sense -- but they sure looked good!"

Yep, this blog is called Movie Lovers Only for a reason.

I love movies.


Hmmm.....I guess we'll see how I feel about that in the morning.

Happy 4th of July everyone........

No comments: